livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Back to Traditional Farming to Beat Climate Change - Herder Vs. Farmer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Back to Traditional Farming to Beat Climate Change - Herder Vs. Farmer
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 11:29:44 -0600

In this area horses always need horse trailers and big pickups to haul them
around. People are scattered all over the county and actually riding horses
to get somewhere would just be impractical. Like so many things, what was
once a necessity is turned into a sport or an art. We see some donkeys and
mules but all these too amount to little more than a hobby - an expensive
hobby buying feed in such an arid climate. And with so little gardening
going on, there's much free manure going to waste. With our soil and
climate I'd be nuts to try to grow our own compost material. That would be
a huge waste of well water. Plus we get free bedding straw to use for
mulch, and loads of wood chips from the city plant. Recycling waste others
don't want makes perfect sense here. I'd have to be some masochistic purist
to refuse anything imported from outside our own acre.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it
made.
Jean Giraudoux