livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Back to Traditional Farming to Beat Climate Change - Herder Vs. Farmer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkingal@clearwire.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Back to Traditional Farming to Beat Climate Change - Herder Vs. Farmer
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 20:21:32 -0500

mdnagel@verizon.net wrote:

Just how long do you think one can TRUCK in horse manure? And horses, sorry if I offend anyone here, are of really limited value: look around the world today and see what animals are employed, they're primarily oxen and water buffalo; horses, for their keep, offer very little in comparison.

Ahem, that's because most of the areas that would sustain horses usefully as work animals have automobiles for transportation. If you were without "trucks" to truck things, horses would be a very reasonable thing to have in a good many areas of the world. There's a reason you "cart" stuff around.

I'm not saying that other animals aren't useful, and there ARE saddle cows (yeah, really), but horses are more comfortable than cows and typically move faster. That makes a difference when mechanized stuff is not around. In areas of the world where horses do well and there isn't a lot of mechanization, you do find a lot of horses. The thing here is, they helped us build our society, and then we got cars and made them a luxury animal. Since we don't "need" them, people denigrate them.

Morgan