livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Molded fiberglass units available, possible farm use?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Molded fiberglass units available, possible farm use?
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 15:49:17 -0400

Hi All,

I live near the Conservation Research Center--Front Royal, Virginia [northern VA, about an hour and a half west of Washington, DC]--and am circulating on their behalf an offer of some molded fiberglass "pools" which they used in a crane breeding project, since discontinued. These are well engineered units, not too heavy but with a lot of structural strength, that could serve any number of possible functions.

Imagine a wading pool 3 x 3 feet on the bottom, with enough "flare" in the sides to make them 6 feet wide at the top. On one side, however, the side is not just "flared" but at a 45 degree angle to make a ramp (which the cranes used to exit their pool). There's a drain hole in the center of the bottom.

The above describes the smaller units. The big ones are 6-1/2 feet wide and 7-1/2 feet long at the top, with an additional 4 feet of exterior ramp (a "down" ramp on the outside matching the "up" ramp on the inside). Remember, this is all one molded unit, so they are *big*, probably considerably bigger than you're imagining.

Yeah, yeah, I know--the above is gibberish. But if it perks your interest, send me an email at
harvey@themodernhomestead.us
I will send pictures of these units, and give you the contact info at CRC if you want to arrange for pick up.

These units are free--you haul. There are 14 available: 6 smaller, 8 large. (I think the large all have the external down ramp--it may be that all or most of the smaller have no such exterior ramps, just an interior one.)

Do note that I circulated a similar notice several months ago and some of you responded, indicating you were interested. Unfortunately, my email access went down at that point and was down for *five weeks!* and I didn't get back to circulating the notice until now. Apologies to those earlier who wondered if I had dropped off the planet.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

The building of new topsoil depends on us, and our future depends on building
new topsoil. This is the greatest challenge facing modern agriculture.
~Christine Jones

  • [Livingontheland] Molded fiberglass units available, possible farm use?, Harvey Ussery, 10/01/2009