livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "The Synergistic Garden"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "The Synergistic Garden"
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 07:01:50 -0400

Leeks. . .are cut down to the white part, then left two to three weeks to
produce a second crop. Afterwards roots are left in the soil where they
regenerate making seed for the following year.

Do these sentences mean anything at all to anyone else? I've never seen a single reference to eating leek *tops* but eating the tops is the only thing that would make the above make sense.

However, the problem of slugs is still not resolved. The ducks, which have a
small pond in the middle of the garden, turned out to be inefficient (they're
asleep when the slugs are in full swing!). Emilia is looking for other
predators to intervene in the biological struggle.

I have found that, if I put the chicken flock on the garden pre-season (late winter to very early spring), they clean up the slugs and their eggs; and it takes months for the population to recover to potentially damaging levels.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

The building of new topsoil depends on us, and our future depends on building
new topsoil. This is the greatest challenge facing modern agriculture.
~Christine Jones