livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] no cooks for fresh food?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] no cooks for fresh food?
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 18:37:33 -0400

My mother never cooked in the summer. We ate cold salads (thrown together in a few minutes), carrot and celery sticks, raw fruit, and occasionally a jello salad with fruit or vegetables in it, if she had felt like making it before leaving for work in the morning. Before air conditioning, no one cooked more than they had to during the hot weather.

The rest of the year, we had very simple meals that didn't take more than a few minutes preparation time. Throw a potato for each person in a pot and start it boiling, put one hamburger (or something similar) for each person in the frying pan, make a salad, and that was it. My mother was a public school teacher and never got home before six or seven in the evening. The oldest children took turns making dinner, so it had to be simple.

But I can sure sympathize with people who don't have the energy to cook in the evenings. I typically get home around seven after being on the road all day, and I don't feel like cooking either. We usually have just a salad (I make enough for several days at a time), and some cooked frozen vegetables. Takes about ten minutes to prepare. I don't think I could fix a meal any faster with processed food.

Liz
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Emery Mitchamore" <emitch@att.net>