livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Uproar over study on organic food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Uproar over study on organic food
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 20:51:37 -0500

I'm curious about the actual data and growing methods. From what I've seen and read and understand about plants, it takes time to create mineral and nutritional content. Everything in the modern growing methods (conventional AND organic) is steadily increasing the rate and size of the products so they are more 'profitable' for farmers and processors. Some stress in plants slows down growth and increases mineral content and flavor. If organics are being grown with maximized irrigation methods and nitrogen contents, etc., then I can see why the differences would be less significant that we all hope a study would show. One more generalized study that fails to allow people to grow things like they would naturally grow: not to mention the depletion of available minerals for so many conventional years vs. 'converting' back to organic. It is highly unlikely that we can rejuvenate any soil to the level of biological diversity it once had before the 20th century tillage and chemical warfare methods were implemented.

Guess what? We're all gonna die anyway.
The Boomers and their fascination with pseudorganics at Trader Joe put the consumptive 'more' in 'immortality'.

Dan C.
Belgium, WI