livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Plant disease hits eastern US veggies early, hard

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Bobby G <bobbyg53211@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Plant disease hits eastern US veggies early, hard
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 17:39:55 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 7/4/09, livingontheland-request@lists.ibiblio.org <
> Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Plant disease hits eastern
> US veggies
> early, hard
> To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
>
> It is going to be interesting to see if the multi-culture,
> organic Mini farms have any success in fending this off.
> ?
> Yours, Pego

Hi folks
You might want to do one of those "goojle" searches about using aerated
compost tea (properly made) as a foliar feeding for plants susceptible to
late blight. I recall reading somewhere, perhaps on the ATTRA website, though
I can't re-locate it, that several applications of compost tea will create a
bacterial film on the plant that will help the plant fend off the fungus that
causes havoc with the blight.

In any event, I make frequent 55-gallon drum batches of compost tea made from
fairly fresh compost straight from the clippings (alfalfa, field peas, brome
grass etc.) taken from the field I'm farming. Then I apply it straight on the
rows of veggies at a rate where 55 gallons does about 1,000-1,500 feet or so.
I figure it's not doing any harm, and might help some.

Bobby G
Central Wisc. USA