livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Plant disease

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkingal@clearwire.net>
  • To: birdwalk@frontiernet.net, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Plant disease
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 16:44:58 -0500

Birdwalk wrote:

my squash gets this major mildew thing every year

WHAT can I treat it with?

Make a mixture of 1 Tbs baking soda, 1 Tbs cooking oil or light horticultural oil, a few drops of a mild dishwashing soap like Ivory and 1 gallon water. Spray on leaves when needed. This stuff is amazing. Leaves turn green again before your very eyes.

I am told you can also use milk at a ratio of 1 part milk to 9 parts water on powdery mildew on squash, but since the other one works so well for me, I have never used milk. Up until I got goats last year I almost never had milk in the house. ;-)

Only spray squash in the early morning or late evening. If you put these sprays on them in the middle of the day you will burn the heck out of them, particularly the one that contains oil.

and this year the tomatoes are rotting at the stem as they turn ripe... whats up with that?

No clue, sorry.

Morgan