livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Water Crisis Rocks LA, Mexico City; Who's Next?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Birdwalk <birdwalk@frontiernet.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Water Crisis Rocks LA, Mexico City; Who's Next?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:06:52 -0500

water - we have 4800 gallons for rain water collection - just had the gutters put on two metal and polycarbonate roofs with over 7000 sq ft of surface

using 12 v pump and / or gravity to drip and microjet irrigation. heavy to organic in raised bed soil (thanks to the rabbits)

adding in 33 ft about ground swimming pool for catfish and more water storage. starting small aquaponics this spring with a couple 6 foot stock tanks.

I am wide open to further suggestions and information as we try to get off grid and out of the grocery store as much as possible.

we have a spot picked out in the side of a small hill to dig in a root cellar and I was wondering how to keep that from being to wet.....

lucile

I've mentioned freshwater as one part of the perfect storm coming for
agriculture, and discussed methods of conservation for food growing. But I
get no