livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Water Crisis Rocks LA, Mexico City; Who's Next?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Water Crisis Rocks LA, Mexico City; Who's Next?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 20:02:51 -0700 (PDT)

I think most people here seem to recognize whats coming. I also think there's a good reason Harvey doesn't get much traction beyond blanks stares when he mentions it to the average joe. Industrial societies absolutely depend on ignorance of cause and effect to function and maintain legitimacy. Industrial consumerism is just a subset of ignorance. How  else would you get a nobel prize for saying infinite growth is possible on a finitely bounded ellipsoid (just so long as you use your imagination)?

Certainly lack of organic matter is probably one of the larger causes of water misuse (rain forests with narrow 'o' horizons and heavy recycling capability excepted) in agriculture - but I can't help but think the most significant factors which drive those choices are population size, ignorance, and a false sense of comfort in that order.