livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Plasticulture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Plasticulture
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 08:11:50 -0400

Has anyone read "Polymers [Plastics] Are Forever" in Orion?
http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/270
Ever since reading that, I've had a horror about using plastics, to the extent I can avoid them. I do indeed have a 20x48 ft greenhouse covered with plastic sheeting. I wish there were alternatives, but as Eliot Coleman points out, that greenhouse more than offsets pollution generated and energy use squandered by ordering in my produce from California and Chile. Still, it gives me the creeps to think that that stuff will be around in the time of our great-great-grandchildren.

It's like nuclear waste: Let future generations worry about it--I'm getting my Niagara of electricity in my lifetime.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us