livingontheland - [Livingontheland] dehybridizing was :Re: Non GMO seed source listing.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkingal@clearwire.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] dehybridizing was :Re: Non GMO seed source listing.
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 11:11:29 -0500

TradingPostPaul wrote:

We go a step further and grow only heirlooms, preferably the best tasting
Italian heirlooms we can find.

Find me an heirloom that does as well in my area as heatwave(which is a hybrid) and I'll switch. I'm still looking for one. I give space to between 5 and 10 different heirloom tomatoes every year. I suppose I could try to unhybridize heatwave as well, then it would at least be OP. Taxi is the ONLY thing that even comes close and I grow as many of them as I do Heatwaves every year. Heatwaves are larger and my perception is that the plants produce more, but I haven't been as good about record keeping to prove that as I should have.

Anyone have any guidelines for how many plants you should grow out to do that? I know it's theoretically possible, but I don't think I've ever seen it stated 3 plants, 5 plants, 25 plants, whatever you start with. I know you just don't save seeds from the ones that don't show the traits you want and you pull out the bad tasting ones entirely if they occur, but I'm not sure how much space I need to allot them to grow out and weed from for stability.

Morgan