livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Farms Heal

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Farms Heal
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 23:47:36 -0600

I recall, years ago, running into my friend Shepherd Bliss in Sonoma County, CA again and again to find him with arms in slings, a patch over one eye, etc. He'd tell me what happened, and say, "Farming is dangerous."
I never tried farming. I built a Permaculture food forest and grew vegetables, berries, etc. on the berms.
In Vietnam when I was still a kid, danger lost its allure for me.
One of my teachers at New College in Santa Rosa, Richard Heinberg, advised, for maintaining economic viability, "Learn how to fix something."
Instead, I went to grad school to learn how to be a writer of fiction.
But now I'm learning how to fix industrial society in the Transition Movement.
Check it out. http://transitionus.ning.com

Smiles.
Tommy Tolson
Transition Texas