livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] WHY DON'T WE WANT PEOPLE TO FARM?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] WHY DON'T WE WANT PEOPLE TO FARM?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:26:46 -0800 (PST)

That and I think we've learned to demean manual work and laud the self-absorbed. After all wall street produces pretty much nothing, so when it fails (as it would in a natural system), it's bailed it out and its continual self-interest declared paramount to our survival. People who devalue the land fail to see their 'investment' in concrete and someone else's labour  rise, its then claimed we need a program to 'save the homeowner/investor', and 'free up credit' (as though was in a jail for political prisoners somewhere).

When farms fail agriculture is moved out of country and  the consumers right to exploited labour and cheap food declared 'saved'.  the consumer feels their consumption is vindicated (after all if it grows on trees it must not be real work, or perhaps the people who produce just aren't as 'smart' since they don't spend like what Wendell Berry calls the 'self appointed center').

Of course we do want people to farm, and as an urban community we want to make sure they stay powerless, and as desperate as possible when they do. Otherwise the center might crumble under its own brilliance. They've gone so far recently as to declare organic farming 'elitist' when it insists things be done manually, and 'ignorant' when it refuses to see the common sense of GM.

I guess what I think drives it is a very dangerous conglomeration of arrogance thats been the mainstay of culture for at least 2 or 3 generations now. Arrogant economics, arrogant science, and arrogant politics are a dangerous trio in my opinion. Without it how could you declare anything the 'greatest' or 'best' anything?