livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Surprise! Organic Beekeepers Reporting Zero Losses

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Surprise! Organic Beekeepers Reporting Zero Losses
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:21:10 -0500

At 04:32 PM 11/16/2008, you wrote:
We were hoping to get a bee set up by spring and would very much like to
start with good organic bees and new equipment without the chemicals...

Could you point me in the proper direction?

Central TN or shipped in?

There's a Dadant store in Lynchburg, Virginia, that will ship. Best thing is to contact the local beekeeping group. Ask your local agricultural extension agent, or google for it. Used equipment is by far the cheapest way to get started, though, and many older beekeepers are willing to sell. I don't know to what extent you need to worry about pesticide residue on existing hive components, but you could at least get new frames and foundation (wax). The hive bodies themselves are painted and can be washed off thoroughly if necessary.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com