livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Mark/Mulch

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Zachary Domike <zdomike@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Mark/Mulch
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:33:34 -0800 (PST)

What is the purpose of the briquette?  If is for a specific area mulch, I suggest you look at this website to determine the use.

They produce a briquette, but of wool!  (There is lots of trash bits of wool in NZ)  The grass would be much better for the soil, of course, but would deteriorate in a year - if you are using briquettes for mulch.

Of course, we have to define the intended use, and "Briquette" - which usually is not a small brick, but a small CHARCOAL!

ESOL,
Zack

Re: [Livingontheland] Mark/Mulch (Pumpkin Lady)
Amrita WROTE:

Maybe I did not give enough thought to the matter. What I make brickettes out of is hay (long, strong grass) not fine clippings. And with my weight (under 40 kgs), it does not really compact the grass too much, just moulds the tangles in properly so that they dont spring open when taken out of the tray.

I have observed that the earthworms thrive under those. In fact, recently I experimented with keeping a few of these bricketts in the vermicompost bed - I just checked under them today, and the earthworms do seem to prefer to crowd below the grass brickets..  But you are right - I am sure it wont be so nice with soft grass clippings.

Amrita .

Amrita, what's the advantage of this procedure?? When you compact your grass clippings etc. you exclude air, which means that you get anaerobic decomposition instead of aerobic decomposition.? Decomposition of organic matter under anaerobic conditions is generally considered undesirable since it takes longer and can produce foul smell and anaerobic microbes that may even be toxic to plants.
?
Dieter Brand
Portugal

  • [Livingontheland] Mark/Mulch, Zachary Domike, 11/17/2008