livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Michael Pollan: Eating Is a Political Act

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <boxwood@nelsoncable.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Michael Pollan: Eating Is a Political Act
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 07:36:28 -0500

Michael Pollan: Eating Is a Political Act
http://www.alternet.org/healthwellness/105667/michael_pollan%3A_eating_is_a_political_act/
By Mark Eisen, The Progressive. Posted November 8, 2008. ~Posted by Paul

Pollan has done a great job of focusing our attention on the absurdities of our current agriculture/food system. But he's not a nutritionist, and there are important ways he gets it wrong in his most recent book, In Defense of Food. I think he needs to take a closer look at the idea of getting back to the diversified small farm. In that model, with an essential reliance on animals as well as plant crops as part of the mix, I'm not sure that vegetarianism is as much a more-evolved way of eating as Pollan seems to think. There are also many inconsistencies in In Defense on nutritional/health issues, e.g. with regard to consumption of saturated fats.

See Ellen Ussery's review of In Defense of Food from this perspective at:
http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/In-Defense-of-Food.html

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

I truly believe that as long as we have not found peace with the soil, we
won't find peace above the ground. That as long as we justify the
exploitation of any organism, other exploitations will follow and we will
remain parasites, consuming more than participating, and spiralling into
entropy until we commit mass suicide. ~Emilia Hazelip