livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Aspiring food and energy self-reliant community

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Laurie Ann Powell <laurie@powellclan.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Aspiring food and energy self-reliant community
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:32:03 -0600

It is possible that such a community could work, but by and large most
of them fizzle out over time, as they are based on non-organic
relationships. (and of course, some of them get busted by government
agents.)

We have decided instead to create a "community within the community"
with an outward spreading vision.

Rather than trying to get people to "join" something, we try to share
some aspect of food production and self reliance with everyone we meet.
When we discover someone with an interest, we connect with them in a
very loose way, for example helping them find the whole food sources
they are particularly interested in, teaching them skills they don't
have and passing on information about the holistic lifestyle. Over
time, we trust people according to their willingness to embrace the
principles we have. Long term, we hope to know who we can trust, should
the apocalypse really come to pass.

We greatly increase the number of people we can exchange with. It also
means there is no "commitment" to break. They either act on what we give
them or not, but they aren't "joining" anything, so they don't "quit"
anything if they decide, for example, they can't give up their
unsustainable life.

In other words, we are trying to be an underground vining community
rather than a row-based community +.+

Laurie Ann
Posing as an ordinary housewife.