livingontheland - [Livingontheland] lamb's quarters question

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkingal@clearwire.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] lamb's quarters question
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:31:11 -0500

I have lamb's quarters/henbit growing on my land and I let it go to grain this year. It is all quite heavy and has a nice crop of seeds, but since it is mostly in the yard, it's quite messy looking. It's starting to bug me. When can I harvest it to dry?

I may or may not eat the grain. Reading has left me unsure so I need to do more research, but in any case, I plan to get birds of some sort next year and, as the henbit/fat hen name implies it's quite good as chicken feed, so well worth saving if only for that. I may not even have to thresh it if I only feed it to birds, just remove it from the stalks and bag it in metal trash cans once it's dry. I read they are also usable as "sprouts" so there's useful stuff I can do with it. I just have to figure out what works for me. ;-)

Thanks for any insights,
Morgan