livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Rabbit's? Terry W

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Terry Wereb" <frostedacres@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Rabbit's? Terry W
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:25:23 -0400

Sorry-- the computer I was on was not being very co-operative, and I was very time limited---

 the pet food processor is paying $1.50/ pound, live weight. She pays 50 cents each for 'pinks' that have had a 'natural' death-- such as poor mothering-- no killing of newborns just to get the price they bring per pound!~!!!! All animals MUST be super clean-- the husbandry standards are real high- no emaciated or sick animals, no  drugs or other chemicals-
 And we call them 'rabbits'-- as 'bunnies' are cute, cuddly critters you give children at Easter.   I don't 'make' a lot of money right now, collecting these animals from the various growers- but as a group, we are putting forth a marketing effort that is paying off-- meanwhile, we do have an outlet for our otherwise 'worthless' animals--see, a couple of the growers offered some lop eared rabbits to someone looking for a meat rtabbit to eat-- and it was refused 'THAT'S a PET!!!" was the shocked statement... body type said 'meat' but because the ears were lopped over, it was refused by the private individual.... It is nigh impossible to sell anything pictured on a greeting card or in a holiday  ad as 'meat' potential-- it is still socially unacceptable to eat the Easter Bunny or Thumper.
And by the way-- Bambi's 'mother' tasted quite good last fall.....

 Terry W