livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Rabbit's?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Aliza" <realfood@wonderfulfarm.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Rabbit's?
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 11:43:13 -0700

I think the lady I know that does lots of bunnies is getting about$7 or $8 here in southern oregon sold to a guy that picks them up for processing. She has an intensive cage/barn rabbit system. In Oregon you can self process up to 9,000 (I think thats the number for bunnies) without going USDA. You sell the bunnies live and butcher them as a gift. Poultry is 20,000 I think before you have to go USDA. Of course you cant sell to restaurants and stores but you can sell to individuals. In our area if you went to pasture raising the bunnies you could get real dollars for them sold straight to the consumer. I dont think I could kill 9000 little bunnies (I do have some bambi syndrome going on LOL) but if you think about it that would be at least $90,000/year gross if you got ten bucks a pastured bunny. Remember if they are raised on pasture in movable pens you arent feeding any pellets past weaning time so your costs ought to be pretty low. Marketing 9,000 rabbits would be the trick. And having quality enough pasture to raise them to good butcher weight.

Aliza
----- Original Message ----- From: "Desert Eagle" <jimi@hdc-nm.com>