livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] A Torrent of Tomatoes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] A Torrent of Tomatoes
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:36:56 -0600

And we can't judge how much will sell at one market or the other on a given
day. Some will keep till next market; some will be overripe, some won't look
perfect for market. We have to avoid waste and that means being ready to dry
and/or freeze on demand. All while harvesting, irrigating, and spending hours
getting to and from markets up to an hour away. And at the peak of harvesting
it can mean at least two busy markets a week, maybe more. We staggered the
bed planting but it seems nature bats last as they say. We just hit peak
production and it now looks like the last beds will be producing after
markets close for the season. I'm determined to get the greenhouse closed up
at night in Sept and Oct and keep it warm enough to get the last tomato
possible this year. That's a homemade 15x50 with six 12 ft beds. I tie up
branches with vertical supports and rafters. I did get our own starts
transplanted from gallon pots into the beds in early April & May but my
timing was off. Now all six beds are a nine foot high jungle pushing up on
the roof plastic.

Now getting $5.00 lb I should be in a panic to sell at every market in the
area. But we do have to have a life ;-) If we keep selling out the first 30
minutes of a three hour market we'll have to go to $6.00 lb. And hold down
the price of the other veggies to double last year's prices.