livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Conversations from the Field

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Conversations from the Field
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 13:33:43 -0600

Conversations from the Field
ATTRA talks to movers and shakers in the sustainable ag movement
http://www.attra.org/interviews/brockman.html

Henry Brockman:
"Small and sustainable go together and small-scale farms are more often
organic. Now organic is sold in every grocery store. But with much of the
organic food in the supermarkets, we are headed back to the factory,
large-scale, streamlined model of conventional food production. But I think
that if you are making a living, why try to sell more just to make the same
amount of money? We need a lot of small-scale sustainable farms, or just
small farms because that is what I think is sustainable. To me, small scale
sustainable farmers, selling to local markets, is true sustainable
agriculture. Every year, my neighbor at the farmers market asks me why I do
not expand and go to more farmers markets. He goes to one every day of the
week…he cannot understand what is wrong with me—why I am not growing and
expanding my markets like he is. I caution people not to do more if you do
not have to. If you’re making a living, why stress out and do more. Growers
get caught up in this idea of having to get bigger. I have no desire to get
any bigger."