livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] I live here an in the middle of this issue RE: Grazing on Public Lands

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gail Hoskisson Loper <loghillgail@msn.com>
  • To: LOL <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] I live here an in the middle of this issue RE: Grazing on Public Lands
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:15:45 -0600

On 7/30/08 2:05 PM, "me" <ken@wildlanders.com> wrote:

> Here are some of my comments in regards to the issue.

Excellent comments, Ken.

The only thing I would add to what you have written is that only 3 or 4% of
the beef raised in this country graze on these arid western public lands.

It wouldn't hurt the beef supply one bit if public land grazing was stopped
tomorrow. Stopping grazing would benefit these lands owned by all
American's but terribly abused by these corporate welfare ranchers.

And lastly, you can't feed a hamster for what the government charges these
ranchers per AUM on Forest Service and BLM managed lands. State owned lands
usually charge more per AUM, a cow and a calf per month.

Gail