livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] I live here an in the middle of this issue RE: Grazing on Public Lands

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] I live here an in the middle of this issue RE: Grazing on Public Lands
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:32:36 -0600

Glad to have your input as a range ecologist. I don't post all these things
because I just happen to agree with everything, but to provoke discussion on
issues the public needs to see. As a teen in the '50s I worked with my father
with herefords on his place, made fence by hand in east TX summer heat
(endless), and in '57 we sodded fifty acres in coastal bermuda for permanent
pasture. It worked very well with vetch and cut way down on spending for hay,
not to mention holding soil in place and doing away with any need for annual
seeding. My best memories were circling those pastures, high up on a tractor,
mowing to hold down weeds and spur bermuda spread, clounds and blue sky
overhead, without a worry in the world.