livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Carrots to the core

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Carrots to the core
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:55:58 -0400

At 09:06 PM 6/28/2008, you wrote:

It says, the guy does "raised beds 3 ft wide by 20 ft long. He direct-seeds the carrots, four or five rows per bed, using a thin carrot plate on his Earthway seeder so the plants won't have to be thinned later."

My beds are 3 ft wide with four or five rows per bed. I haven't used a seeder because I've read there are difficulties with seed that small. Anyone using an Earthway seeder for carrots or other small seed?

I'd like to know about this too. I haven't used a seeder at all, primarily because I'm not seeding a large enough area to need one. But I'd like to expand, and it seems as though using a seeder for very small seed would let you use the seed you have most efficiently.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com