livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Carrots to the core

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Carrots to the core
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 10:07:07 -0600

A three-foot width is easier reaching for me, seeding on hands and knees.
Plus I don't try to do an entire bed at one time. Anything with bending or
kneeling is interspersed with other jobs - and there's always other jobs ;-)

I was wrong about rows per bed; with roughly three-inch spacing I get about
ten rows in a three-foot width. For even watering the bed has to be level
before seeding. In a hot dry summer it also needs wind protection to retain
moisture without constant watering. With a loose soil good for carrots, too
much watering or rain can leach out soluble nutrients before the end of the
season.

BTW we actually got an inch of rain yesterday. Unbelievable.