livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 146, Issue 3

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Jean French <jwf267@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 146, Issue 3
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:51:07 -0700 (PDT)

Bobby,

We've used floating row covers to prevent squash bugs, but we put the covers on that part of the field when we planted the seeds, and left it on until the flowers needed pollinating. We got a lot of squash for a while (the bugs showed up later as the plants aged), and we planted several locations, at different times for this reason.  Don't know if covers can help in the season if the bugs are already present in this squash, but maybe a new location would work.

Good luck!

Becky F
Towson, MD