livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Vegetable Yields

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Vegetable Yields
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 22:32:04 -0700

I've seen the Jeavons book, and it gives a range.

Yields depend on so many variables! Today I picked more raspberries from my small berry plot than I picked in the best *week* last year.

The yield of tomatoes, and many other vegetables, depends so much on the variety you plant, when you planted, whether you try to extend the season, how much sun you get, the weather patterns that season, etc. For tomatoes, I've kept records for a few years on how many tomatoes I get per plant: I've gotten as few as 3 (a plant that didn't get enough sun, or a seedling that never thrived) and as many as almost 1300 (cherry tomatoes) from a single plant. I don't have last year's notebook at hand, but for me, in general the largest luscious heirlooms have produced a choice few (30 to 80), whereas some more prolific heirlooms have produced hundreds per plant. If I hadn't written it down, I wouldn't have believed that I picked 48 ripe tomatoes one day from one 2-foot-high plant. Even when I've planted two of the same variety of tomato in different parts of the garden, I've gotten different yields.