livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] High wheat prices raise grocery costs

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] High wheat prices raise grocery costs
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:43:26 -0400

At 09:15 AM 3/18/2008, you wrote:

Liz,
Where do you find wheat flour in such quanities and how do you store it?
Cherie

I buy it from one of the more or less local Mennonite-owned stores (Yoder's Markets in Virginia and North Carolina) in 50-pound sacks, and store it in 2-gallon plastic freezer bags layered inside 5-gallon paint buckets. I keep about 10 pounds of it in 2 lard cans that are more easily available in the kitchen, and the rest of it stacked in the corner of my bedroom.

You can get the same wheat in the same sacks from Lehmans, but in 50-pound lots, the shipping will kill you. Best to find someone within driving distance.

This is not organic wheat. I haven't been able to find a source for that within driving distance. My local health food store carries very small amounts but I'd have to pay twice as much for the same amount of wheat if I bought it from them. I wish I could get organic at a reasonable price, but I suspect I'm going to have start growing it myself.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com