livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] no till and cover crops

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] no till and cover crops
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 13:04:34 -0700

You'd have the same problem with perennials like asparagus. Can't mow
there. I don't cover crop. I use a layer of aged, dried & screened manure
to cover beds in the winter. Snow and rain give the soil good doses of
manure tea. I also add small amounts of dilute fish emulsion long before
planting time. It's easy to pull aside the thin manure layer for ten rows
running the length of a 3-foot wide bed, for planting. 30 plants longways x
ten rows across makes 300 carrots in a 3x8 foot bed. 24 beds makes 7,200
carrots. I do the rest of the beds the same way for other crops. On some I
add a thin layer of spoiled hay between plants. The drip can be left in
place all year with no-till.