livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] chicken silage

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Terry Wereb" <frostedacres@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] chicken silage
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:42:01 -0500

okay-- so the haylage and baleage is silage made from hay instead of corn: Just a matter of packaging, then.

Terry W

On 3/5/08, Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com> wrote:

> Define, someone, please, the terms "baleage" and 'haylage' for me--

Silage (haylage) is made in a silo. Baleage is made in a bale.

Modern round balers, especially with plastic wrap, are used to bale hay
before it is dry, sometimes treated with an innoculant, and the bales
are sealed either individually or in a 'tube', and allowed to ferment as
the hay would if put into a silo.

Not to be confused with just making hay with modern balers (square or
round) with innoculant used to burn up the oxygen and moisture and speed
up the process of getting the hay off the field.

My neighbor found out the hard way that this doesn't always work,
especially if done by the average Joe Tractor Driver and doubly so if
you expected to feed horses with the half-moldy result.

Dan C

Making hay the hard way: when the sun shines.