livingontheland - [Livingontheland] no till and cover crops

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Dean" <andeanfx@midrivers.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] no till and cover crops
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:50:25 -0700

I have been really inpressed with no till gardening, especisally the lack of weeds. I am having a problem with working cover crops in with the no till. So, the garden is harvested in the fall, the cover crop is planted; in the spring, before it goes to seed it s cut close to the ground. How do you work around the root base that is left in the soil? With things like tomatoes where plants are set out i don't see a problem but how do you plant things from seed like carrots? Dean