livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Diversifying the woodlot (was Re: Group Encourages Relocalization. . .)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <boxwood@nelsoncable.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Diversifying the woodlot (was Re: Group Encourages Relocalization. . .)
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:01:08 -0500

I will be taking out some Norway maples in my small woodlot and replacing
them with Shag bark Hickories, and a Black Walnut.. Black walnut will be
going at the very Back corner of my lot replacing a dead American Elm..
Fully aware of the Black walnuts issues and researching under canopy small
trees, shrubs, vines, perennial edibles, and mushrooms that will be alright
to plant under it. Any suggestions?

Dave Jacke's huge and hugely important work EDIBLE FOREST GARDENS in 2 vol's has appendices chock-full of great info like this. There is one appendix specifically on juglone toxicity--a chart of species disadvantaged by juglone, and another (a longer list, which is encouraging) on species known to tolerate juglone.

I will be planting sekel and a couple other pears within the areas I take
out the Norway maples.. Under canopy small trees persimmons, shrub layer
beach plums, red currents, service berries, mulched with wood chips.. With
Wine cap mushrooms..

By all means please post any results on working with the wine caps (I'm assuming Stropharia rugoso-annulata). This is an area of tremendous interest to me--using fungi not only for edible (or medicinal) mushrooms in the homestead, but for their valuable role as decomposers. I have a contract to write article on the subject for Mother Earth, but that will not be until late in the year--hopefully enough time for some of my experiments here to bear fruit. See Paul Stamets MYCELIUM RUNNING for more, great book.

As for the rest of your post, Bruce, looks like you're going full-bore for those multi-dimensional applications that are the heart of what we're trying to do here, I guess what some have termed the "permaculture" approach. Do check out the Jacke book for more support. Also see my article on the beginnings on the forest garden concept here at Boxwood, starts at:
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Natural+Forest.html

~Harvey
--
Harvey in northern Va