livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Group Encourages Relocalization of Food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "bruce smith" <cityhomesteader@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Group Encourages Relocalization of Food
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 16:19:35 -0500

On Feb 5, 2008 1:34 PM, TradingPostPaul <tradingpost@riseup.net> wrote:

The drip tape thing has been problematic for me. Too slow. Soaker hoses
seem to put more water where it's needed faster. My main hangup is the
length of beds. Due to a compound slope I made 3x8 beds to be able to level
each bed more easily. But soaker hoses are too long for 8' beds. I normally
water a row of six beds one day, then on to the next row of six and so
forth to the end of the fenced garden. In that mode I need to distribute
water evenly to six 3x8 beds at once using a timer, and then move the
feeder hose to the next row of six beds. And I need to cut my time spent
watering in order to quadruple production this year, but all the other
methods I've heard of involve some time. I need to spend the time seeding,
mulching, transplanting, and harvesting, not watering. No time weeding
mulched raised beds. And it may take three different markets to unload all
our produce, which means less time in the garden. Ah, the challenges of a
semiarid climate ;-)