livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Limits of macrobiotic/vegan point of view (was Re: Growing your own food - all of it)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Limits of macrobiotic/vegan point of view (was Re: Growing your own food - all of it)
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 11:20:33 -0700

Good, IMHO. If animals were limited to those areas unsuited to growing
field crops, we'd eliminate the monster feedlots, and the huge grain
production and freshwater waste needed to support them. And we'd still have
sufficient meat in our diets. And we know today that heavy grain diets make
unhealthy animals and encourage e.coli. There are questions about the need
for so much grain production for human consumption also, relating to
omega-6 versus omega-3 fatty acids. Pollan touches on this. Grains store
and travel well so they make efficient foods for global shipping. But we
have other good calorie (and vitamin) whole food sources like potatoes,
squashes, beans, and other kinds in many countries. Indigenous populations,
mostly in the southern hemisphere, fed themselves very well without our
modern grain farms before colonial conquests turned them into plantations
for northern palates. And could do so again if left alone. A last point:
most of the grains we get end up with the life - the nutritious endosperm -
processed out. White flour - the ultimate industrial diet. And the
undertakers' profit.