livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] A History of Organic Farming--

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] A History of Organic Farming--
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 02:06:43 -0800 (PST)

>Yes, tho they did specify it was only about the organic movement in this
>country. As opposed to traditional practices in the past. ...

That is true, it is mostly about the US organic movement.  They
did, however, start by giving Steiner a write off to establish Howard
as the father of all organics.  It doesn't really matter either way,
but if people make this sort statement they at least ought to
present the facts.  Steiner gave his lectures in 1924, which picked
up on traditional methods still in practice at the time.  And even
though I don't practice biodynamics, I recognize his merit for
presenting an organic alternative to farmers at a time when
agro-chemistry was considered the only way to go and anybody
who did not use synthetic fertilizers was considered a backward
peasant.  Howard, who published his Testament in the US in 1945,
is a great guy.  And there were probably many, contemporary or
since, who deserve equal praise.

>And you're correct; Liebig did regret the opinion later in life. Most
>writers don't know this. Scientists following him missed that point and
>agribusiness since then pushed his original view. I've never actually read
>his words on it, thanks.
The English translation of the Liebig quote is from a book on Organic Soil
Conditioning by Dr. W. Jackson.  I have never seen the German original
since it has been out of print for over 100 years.  Makes you wonder why
some people are none too eager to get to know the whole of the story.

Here is some more:

"I had sinned against the wisdom of our creator, and received just
punishment for it. I wanted to improve his handiwork, and in my blindness, I
believed that in this wonderful chain of laws, which ties life to the surface
of the earth and always keeps it rejuvenated, there might be a link missing
that had to be replaced by me--this weak, powerless nothing.
"The law, to which my research on the topsoil led me, states, 'On the outer
crust of the earth, under the influence of the sun, organic life shall
develop'. and so, the great master and builder gave the fragments of the earth
the ability to attract and hold all these elements necessary to feed plants
and further serve animals, like a magnet attracts and holds iron particles, so
as no piece be lost. Our master enclosed a second law unto this one, through
which the plant bearing earth becomes an enormous cleansing apparatus for the
water. Through this particular ability, the earth removes from the water all
substances harmful to humans and animals--all products of decay and
putrefaction, of perished plant and animal generations.
"What might justify my actions is the circumstance, that a man is the
product of his time, and he is only able to escape the commonly accepted views
if a violent pressure urges him to muster all his strength to struggle free of
these chains of error. The opinion, that plants draw their food from a
solution that is formed in the soil through rainwater, was everyone's belief.
It was engraved into my mind. This opinion was wrong and the source of my
foolish behavior.
"When a chemist makes a mistake in rating agricultural fertilizers, don't
be too critical of his errors, because he has had to base his conclusions upon
facts which he can't know from his own experience, but rather, has to take
from agricultural texts as true and reliable. After I learned the reason why
my fertilizers weren't effective in the proper way, I was like a person that
received a new life. For along with that, all processes of tillage were now
explained as to their natural laws. Now that this principle is known and clear
to all eyes, the only thing that remains is the astonishment of why it hadn't
been discovered a long time ago. The human spirit, however, is a strange
thing. Whatever doesn't fit into a given circle of thinking, doesn't exist."

And here is another Liebig quote in English from Benckiser and Dekker:
"Unfortunately the true beauty of agriculture with its intellectual and
animating principles is almost unrecognized. The art of agriculture will
be lost when ignorant, unscientific and short sighted teachers persuade
the farmer to put all his hopes in universal remedies, which don't exist
in nature. Following their advice, bedazzled by an ephemeral success, the
farmer will forget the soil and lose sight of his inherent values and their
influence."
Truly prophetic.  Both Liebig quotes are from:

Die Grundsatze der Agriculturchemie mit Rucksicht auf die in England
angestellten Untersuchungen. Braunschweig. (1855)
Dieter Brand
Portugal