livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] soil-cement brick

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] soil-cement brick
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:05:23 -0800 (PST)

I saw my first home made of soil/cement in 1989 in Dominican Rep.  Beautiful.

First brick press was invented in Colombia by an engineer named Ramirez. It was called Cinvaram press.  I ordered one for a man in NM in the late 80s.  Shipping was $250.  They are made in nearly all developing countries.  In 1995 in the Ivory Coast I went to a welder with a man who ordered one.  US$100.

If there is free labor, it is the lowest cost home possible to build.  The press provides 25,000 pounds pressure and is equal to a fired brick. In Malawi I saw operating a press from South Africa that produced over a 1200 brick per day.  Took 12 men to operate the total process.

Ken H