livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] rammed earth

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] rammed earth
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:10:45 -0800 (PST)

I forgot that I was in a home in El Salvador that had a rammed [packed] earth floor.

In California they build rammed earth homes putting up a form and using frontend loaders to  put the mix in the form and then pack it.  Beautiful homes.
From my Appropriate Technology for Villages:
  1. Soil-cement bricks/roof tiles:  Made by mixing soil with cement and adding water.  The mix is put into a press. The press cost US$150 in most countries.  They are cured and equal to a fired brick.  Contact the appropriate technology NGO in your country.  http://www2.unam.na/pdf/RevSTFocus/Part-3of3.PDF
  2. Soil-cement floors:  Cement is mixed into the soil, wet and packed down.  Equal to a concrete floor.
  3. Soil-cement paths & roads:  Cement is mixed with soil, wet and packed.
Ken