livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Gardens that Last for Years - Raised Bed Gardens, a Technique that Works

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Norma Sutton" <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Gardens that Last for Years - Raised Bed Gardens, a Technique that Works
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 21:13:25 -0500

My ground is sloping as well and needs the boards to help hold the soil in place.
Norma

On 1/19/08, TradingPostPaul <tradingpost@riseup.net> wrote:

I'd agree, sides aren't usually required. Let me add the only reason I use
lumber sides is I can't dig down enough without digging impervious subsoil,
so I have to build up and need sides to hold the soil and mulch in place.
Also my ground is sloping and level framed beds avoid erosion. Once done
they're done and succeeding years are sooo easy. Another factor is our
climate which is drier than most. Framed beds do contain the irrigation
water better than beds without sides.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net