livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] soil amendments, first time usage, and mulch questions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] soil amendments, first time usage, and mulch questions
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 08:49:46 -0700

Others may have more on the subject. From what I've read, minerals need to
be worked in, not left on top. I mix small amounts of organic mineral
amendments like bone meal and greensand with alfalfa meal and aged manure
on top, then soak with dilute fish and molasses and soak it down further
with water. Then I mix that with the top inches of soil when it dries
sufficiently. That's only for initial bed preparation. I just add a thinner
layer of the same in suceeding seasons without turning it under, minus more
minerals. This is just my own way, not necessarily right for everyone. It's
my understanding that the organic acids in decomposition bind with the
minerals and nitrogen and this prevents leaching so they can become
available for plant roots as needed.

On soil pH, I hate to guess but I question adding a lot of sulfur or
anything to try to change pH quickly. However, the Rodale books say adding
organic matter or finished compost tends to buffer high or low pH so plants
grow properly. Roadside grass may take up a lot of exhaust fumes.