livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 124, Issue 3

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Daniel Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 124, Issue 3
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:11:37 -0600

You didn't say what the soil type was. Clay? Sand?

I have some success in the heavy clay using alum (aluminum sulfate), mixed in the top few inches with compost. This was an advice thing from an AcresUSA conference I attended a couple of years ago. The aluminum is supposed to buffer the clay ions so they don't stick together as much, while the sulfer lowers the pH (my pH tests say that nothing should grow, but almost everything does pretty well).
So far, I've only used it for spot plantings of brambles, because the cost would be prohibitive on large areas of my farm. It really greens up the spots, though.
At least, that's how I understand it. Alum is also supposed to be good to put on chicken manure during the winter barn pack to buffer the ammonia. Haven't tried it myself yet.

Dan
Belgium,WI

Message: 17
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 11:08:52 -0600
From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkin@xanadoo.com>

> On soil pH, I hate to guess but I question adding a lot of sulfur or
> anything to try to change pH quickly. However, the Rodale books say adding
> organic matter or finished compost tends to buffer high or low pH so plants
> grow properly.

Sulfur is not a "quick fix" it takes about 6 months to get in and get
going and lasts years. I'm not trying to lower it tons. I've gardened in
this area before, and the beds I put sulfur in every 3-5 years have a
(slightly) lower pH and the plants seem (lots) happier in than the bed I
didn't. It's more of a maintenance thing once it gets in there, and if I
was doing it at my old house, I'd just sprinkle it on the top and mulch
over it and make the assumption it would work in eventually and be fine.
  The problem is this is a completely new place and no one has done
anything to it AFAICT except overgraze it.

Thanks,
Morgan