livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Eating Locally

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Eating Locally
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 09:16:52 -0700

These kind of experiments are informative but may cloud the big picture. A
100-mile radius or some other arbitrary circle is whatever you want it to
be. The point is, long distance shipping burns fossil fuel and food isn't
fresh when it arrives and loses nutrients. And varieties bred for
mechanical handling and long shipping aren't the most nutritious, not to
mention taste. Even local food can sit on the store shelf too long, and may
not even be organic. So local is not an ironclad guarantee of safety,
freshness or nutrition. Growing your own usually is though, as is buying
local organic from farmers markets.

Small amounts of condiments or spices take relatively little fossil fuel to
ship and hardly lose anything in storage, but add a great deal to the
flavor of our food. As for grains and meats most of us can reduce our
consumption and be better off for it. Personally I use very little milk but
crave provolone and mozarella, and that's just me (my cook is Italian). We
try to eat from the garden when we can. But if we waste a lot of gas
running around constantly to find fresh, naturally grown local products
then the question is whether we save fossil fuel at all. What is more
sustainable?

Maybe someone will come up with workable guidelines for eating more local,
without going to extremes that are counterproductive or unsustainable.