livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cool Climate Tomato Growing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cool Climate Tomato Growing
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 19:23:00 -0700

The soil will warm during the day but ventilation is needed to avoid
overheating. I have no idea what your climate will be tho. I can't comment
on black plastic for mulch since I have no plans to ever use it.

I'm facing the same challenge here with our four month frost free season.
But we need more than 55 degrees in the greenhouse for best production, and
we need to hold down heating costs. Maybe set up a wood stove? We use straw
mulch on 4'x12' framed beds.This greenhouse is single layer 6 mil UV and
lumber, 15'x50', and a double layer structure would be far more expensive
seeing how I did this one myself for well under $1,000. Seeding should
start Feb 1st to have loads of ripe tomatoes by June 1st at least, and has
to be started in pots in one walled off end with a small room heater.