livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Cool Climate Tomato Growing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Phil Bunch" <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Cool Climate Tomato Growing
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 18:02:25 -0800

I'm thinking about how to raise night temperature from 50F to 55F for
tomatoes. Anyone think a double walled hoop house with black plastic mulch
would do it? I'm thinking that if one warmed the soil during the day the
radiation at night may be capable of 5 degree rise in air temperature. I'm
pretty sure that the dimensions of the hoop house would be critical but I
don't know how large it would have to be.

Any ideas?