livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] U.S. food banks, in a squeeze, tighten belts

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] U.S. food banks, in a squeeze, tighten belts
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:40:58 -0500

At 11:11 AM 12/5/2007, you wrote:
Point one, at whose risk are you purchasing United state dept. of
agribusiness inspected meats?

I'm not sure if this post is directed to what I said about salvage stores, but since my post was quoted, I'll take a crack at answering your question. I agree with you about USDA/agribusiness meats. But most salvage stores carry very little or no salvaged perishable products. Sometimes they have some frozen meats, but for most of them--or at least most of the ones I've seen--the only perishables are fresh, not salvage. Some of the larger ones have produce, dairy, eggs and breakfast meats in addition to their salvage inventory, but these things are not salvage.

Point two, ASK the manager, maybe he knows and will give you an honest
answer, then look at the goods and see if the visible condition matches what
you are told. Also look at refund policy; less hassle to this means they
think more of their goods. Much of the 'policies' are meant to be
impediments to redress.

I guess I misunderstood the initial question about how you would know what kind of inventory the store was carrying. I think it's pretty obvious. If many of the cans and boxes are damaged, then it isn't just surplus. If almost none of them are, then it probably is just surplus. You can ask whatever you want, but you don't have to in most cases.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com