livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Positive Goals for Home & Community

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: drwillhite@earthlink.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Positive Goals for Home & Community
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:34:57 -0700

Yes, that's the website of Harvey and Ellen Ussery, and he's on this list
and writes for Mother Earth News periodically. Now if I offered my input on
your article it could end up my article.. ;-). And I don't have the
background for some of your topics. I would add, on local food security
that double cropping can double the output of a home garden. All those
perennials would be the exception of course. Working early and midseason or
late vegetable crops takes more planning and soil work but the payoff is
enormous. Naturally, I had to prove that for myself this last season. Some
of my best guides are Hi-Yield Gardening and Getting the Most From Your
Garden, both from Rodale, and Jeavons' How to Grow More Vegetables. I'm
glad you mentioned knowledge of ancient foods and herbal medicines. It's
going to become more and more important, the way our so-called health care
is going. I have extensive resources on these topics if you want more to
work from. Go for it!