livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Positive Goals for Home & Community

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Douglas Willhite" <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Douglas & Hillary Willhite" <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Positive Goals for Home & Community
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 07:03:58 -0800

In twelve years of exploring the internet this is the best homesteading web site I've found:

The following is another excerpt from the "Homesteading in Wildfire Country" guest article I'm writing. Your input is welcome.
Doug

Good News

The good news is there are many specific actions we can take that will help buffer us, our families, and our communities from needless hardships. We can make our communities less vulnerable by educating each other to necessary changes and living more knowledgably, skillfully, and simply. Making positive changes will require aware and responsible individuals working together in whatever ways are needed. I can tell you from personal experience that it feels spiritually empowering and fun to make these creative changes.

Positive Goals for Home & Community

*Create local food security with soil building, raised vegetable and herb beds; fruit, nut, olive trees, berries, grapes; greenhouses, cold frames, chickens, rabbits, goats, sheep, draft horses; heirloom seed saving, canning, food drying; knowledge of ancient foods and herbal medicines such as acorns, manzanita berries, purslane, and yucca.

*Conserve local water resources with community education, care, and wise use. Defend from outsiders with group legal or political action if necessary.

*Prepare for safety from inevitable wildfires with tree trimming; brush, leaf and dead wood removal; stuccoed eves; roof and vent openings covered with steel screen to deflect embers;  Barricade fire-blocking gel applied when fire threatens.

*Move toward energy independence by implementing solar and wind power technologies for water heating, pumping, and electricity. Super-insulate homes, e.g., retrofit with stucco covered straw bales, earthen jacketing, 2x6 or larger wall cavities, adobe, rammed earth, or underground walls and ceilings.

*Continue community education and conversation via email, phone trees and gatherings. Knowledge gives us power and security!

*Form a community owned and operated fire department, security force and militia if need arises.