livingontheland - [Livingontheland] land for farmers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Dianne Palmer-Quay" <dpalmerquay@gmail.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] land for farmers
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:20:41 -0500

I recently attended a farm business planning workshop and found it interesting the the presentors pointed out that , in general, you can't '''cash flow" land - i.e. land is seen as an investment rather than an asset that will pay for itself.  They did hedge that it may be able to make land "pay" with high values crops ( i.e.organic or other niche market items).  Although the farmer may be less secure with rented land, the financial picture may actually be better.

It was an interesting idea and I am actually pursuing an idea that would involve rented land with a little more enthusiasm.  The presentors did make the point that today's farmers are wise to get a long lease - especially in areas with development pressure - and to structure their business plan to accommodate the possible future shift in land resources.  The bottom line was that rented land was a viable option for farmer wannabes.

Dianne in SC