livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fw: [soilandhealth] Beginning Farmers (x-over post)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Russell Bryant" <bovagard@msn.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fw: [soilandhealth] Beginning Farmers (x-over post)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:25:03 -0600

Been milking cows with my wife of 30 years for 20 years. Just got an apprentice to come on this fall. I used to scuff at want to be's but I realize what it takes to milk 35 cows and farm 100 acres . we were lucky with family. But the cow thing is all ours. we met milking cows on a large farm.
    Joel Salatin's You Can Farm   and All I Want To Do Is Illegal  2 must reads
I realize the want to be's are about all that is left. Most other farmers do not appreciate the life in the soil to keep people healthy.
    I took vo-ag in a class of about 25 . Our movement is growing . we all should be reading Acres U.S.A. also this has helped me . the big ag is got all of us in their cross hairs and we need to stay united to keep this movement going.
Thanks for the thoughts I found when I lived in Wis 20 years ago The best dairy farmers

newbe's were nurses.
    We Truck garden 2 acres mainly tomatoes. so I need not say our only social life is our customers. That is the way the older generation was too. I realize to be successful you need to work long days and have a passion for your work. I have learned once you are addited to cows there is no cure.

I enjoy this list
Russ& Lori